As you pregnant and excited to enter into a new role of parenting? Have already started looking for Baby Photography props and tips to get that perfect shot of your baby? Newborn baby photography is something that excites every mom-to-be.
You surely don’t want to miss any growing moments of your child
We all search for endless and creative Baby photography Ideas. Whether we are doing a shoot at home or with a professional photographer. Whats pros to use, what clothes to wear, which poses to try etc.. the search is endless. But most often we skip other details that are also very important.
Whether you are Photographer or have give birth to those little cute ones there are some things which are universal for your baby.
Things to know well before you plan a photoshoot of your baby. Knowing these things would not only help you in making some wonderful pictures without any hassles but would also give you better confidence in dealing with a newborn or an infant
Newborn or an Infant
Some years ago I was so confused when to what term for a baby- infant, baby, newborn ( or something else)
Thankfully with time and my profession I understood this better. It good to know these terms because it really helps in communicating better with the professionals.
is a baby between 1 to 28 days. Usually this is the time when baby is spending most of the time in sleeping and growing. This is a best time to get your babies photographed
After Newborn stage baby becomes an infant and this last unto 3 months. If you are looking to photograph your baby with wide awake eyes, this is the time. Though handling a baby would not be as easy as a newborn.
There is only 2 factors that you should have before to become a good newborn photographer. You should know know to Sooth and Care the babies. This come with little practice and lot of patience.
Remember those picture perfect photos of cute little bundle of newborn with spotless skin and a beautiful smile?
Well in reality, no baby gets that’s glowing skin from day1, photographers make that skin flawless and also use many photo merging and editing method to create that perfect stand of hand under the chin.
Newborns have skin peel as new skin takes over. Some babies also develop baby acne between 2-3 week. Don’t be disappointed not to get those perfect skin shot. Its good to have some pictures of your babies rather than not to have them at all.
Key factors in shooting a newborn
- Weight of the baby: Usually, a good baby weight is between 6 -9 pounds when you plan for first photoshoot of the baby. This range is usually a good range for a happy and healthy baby which reflects in the pictures as well
- No of Days: Babies are more alert and are awake after 28 days of their birth and most cooperative within 14 days after their birth, when they spend most of their time in sleeping. If you are looking for that perfect calm sleeping pose this is the best time.
- Time of the day: Most of the babies are active during night time and get into deep sleep in the morning. Morning or early afternoon is the best time to photograph those cute little ones.
- Baby Feeding: A newborn feeds in every 2-3 hours if fed full. Good to know their feeding schedule so that you or your photographer prepares according. So after the belly is full, burps are done and with little wet diapers baby is ready to sleep and give you a perfect pose to shoot.
- Heat: A newborn cannot control their body temperature as they cannot shiver or sweat. Only thing that helps them warm is body fat. That’s why weight of the baby plays an important role, a 9 pound baby can better manage heat than a 6 pound baby. Its good to keep babies in a warm environment where it matches the womb’s temperature of the mother – 99.86 F.
- Twins: Usually twins arrive early and its good to delay the photoshoot of them by 1 week. 2-3 weeks after their works best with them once they gain those extra pounds.
Knowing these things helped me in becoming a better photographer.
Let me know if this Baby photography tips helped you too as a beginner? For free consultation on how to plan for your newborn photoshoot, click here.
If you are keen on learning and looking to start your career as baby photographer, please refer my book Tender love- Baby Photography.
For mothers, if you are looking for healthy ways to loose that belly, check out this great article by Madhavi.